The most revolutionary of Neptune-Benson’s innovations has been the Defender™ Automatic Regenerative Media Filter. In a socio-economic climate promoting “green” building products and “sustainability”, Defender™ is the earth-friendly solution for pristine pool water. Advantages include saving millions of gallons of water and waste; delivering superior pool water quality; saving on costly mechanical roomspace; and reducing health risks with safer media handling & disposal. From Australia to Dubai and across the US, aquatic professionals have selected and specified Defender™.
The Defender™ filter will remove particles down to less than 5 microns. With the growing concerns about waterborne illnesses such as cryptosporidiosis, the smaller the particle removal the better. The Defender™ filter is especially effective on pools with heavy bather loads because of the increased filter area and dirt holding capacity.
- Single pass testing resulted in crypto removal of 99.9% using perlite media.
- When testing 1-micron microsphere removal, perlite performed at 56.5% versus 20.2% for sand.
DECREASED BACKWASHING = WATER, CHEMICAL AND FUEL SAVINGS
- Backwashing time for a sand filter system may range from 4-6 minutes every other day as compared to 30 minutes per month for the Defender™ system.
- The Defender™ filter virtually eliminates the tremendous amount of backwash water associated with sand filter operation. Instead of reverse flushing a sand filter, Defender™ simply discharges the spent media directly to waste and is recharged from time to time.
- The dramatic reduction of backwash waste directly translates to savings in make-up water along with the chemicals and fuel for re-heating. Consider the cost of chemically treating 1.0 million gallons and the BTU’s required to heat this volume from 50 degrees to 80 degrees Fahrenheit..
It is also important to note that the improved water quality generated by Defender™’s ability to remove finer particles will also save on general chemical consumption.